Jacob has been running a fever off and on the past few days. He has needed lots of extra hugs, kisses, and I love you's. This morning, he also needed a "lecture" (how much can you really lecture a 2 year old?) on how whining will not get him what he wants no matter how bad he feels. Mommy had met and surpassed her tolerance for whine by 9 am this morning.
In the midst of my tirade of, "no more whining. Please stop being so whiny," Ava runs over with a big grin, and proclaims: "wǒ ài nǐ!"
What is this? Is my daughter randomly and excitedly telling me that she loves me?!?!?!
No... bubble burst.
She thinks I am telling Jacob that I love him over and over again (in an irritated and exhausted voice), so she wanted to join in the fun of me whining "no more whining".
Now I need a synonym for whiny. Somehow thesaurus.com's suggestion of "obnoxious" doesn't seem to carry the same connotation. And while gripe and moan are pretty good synonyms for whine, they lack the wuh-eye-knee noise that sounds like an actual whine. Maybe I'm pronouncing them wrong. Maybe "stop being so gruh-eye-pee" would get the point across.
I guess I should google it first, though. It might mean "scream at the top of your lungs" in Mandarin.
No comments:
Post a Comment